antiquariaat Fokas Holthuis - PAULBOOKS
(Fokas Holthuis &
Postbus 18604, 2502 EP Den Haag
telephone +3170-346 6020 - cellphone +316-4190 9323
See also www.fokas.nl
Newsletter 10 (December, 2010)
varied items ~
ANDROS, Phil / STEWARD, Samuel M. Two books with personal dedications. 1. Samuel M. Steward: Chapters from an Autobiography. San Francisco, Grey Fox Press, (1981). xii, 150 p. Some wear, with author's visiting card and a newspaper clipping. Inscribed 'For (x)/ in memory of a/ hot night in St. Tropez/ with a wild woodland/ creature/ Sam Steward/ 1-IX-87/ Berkeley'.
2. Phil Andros (= Samuel M. Steward): Below the Belt & Other Stories. San Francisco, Perineum Press, 1983. xii, 132 p. Later edition. Cover art by Tom of Finland. With publisher's folder for the Phil Andros series: a leporello mentioning seven titles, with 8 illustrations by Tom of Finland. The book is inscribed 'For (x)/ [oh, to be 60 years/ younger!]/ Phil Andros/ 1-IX-87/ Berkeley'.
* Sizzling books by longtime gay erotica writer Samuel Steward (1909-1993), who started as a professor of English, then turned to be a tattoo artist, ending his distinguished career as a writer of many rough trade gay books.
BAHN, Walter Meine Klienten. Beiträge zur modernen Inquisition von Rechtsanwalt Walter Bahn. Berlin/ Leipzig, Hermann Seemann Nachfolger, . 23 x 15 cm. Orig. wrappers. 120 p. (including 7 pages of interesting, partly illustrated advertisements). With a facsimile. 3th printing. Backstrip damaged. Cover worn and loose. Text paper browned.
* About the murder process of Theodor Berger and the famous Captain of Köpenick. Walter Bahn was the lawyer of Magnus Hirschfeld's Scientific Humanitarian Committe (W.h.K.), but there's nothing about the Committee in these memoirs. Series 'Grossstadt-Dokumente' 42.
BECKFORD, William Vathek. Réimprimé sur l' original Français, avec la préface de Stéphane Mallarmé. Paris, Perrit & Cie, 1893. Original wrappers. (4), XLVIII, 208 p. Uncut. Tiny tears and some square millimeters of the wrapper edges missing. Backstrip browned. Foxed.
* With 48 pages foreword by Mallarmé.
BESANT, Walter, & James Rice Ready-money Mortiboy. A Matter-of-Fact Story. London, Chatto & Windus, 1902. Attractive pictorial wrappers (by Geo Hutchinson). 176 pp. with various nice ads. New (popular) edition. Delicate book is fairly well preserved, only the backstrip is a little worn and discoloured, and strengthened with scotch tape. Corners slightly chipped. Some foxing. Two modern bookplates of collector A.S.A. Struik (who specialized in rare book covers).
BRUGÈRE, F. de la L'école du jardinier amateur, fleuriste et potager. Notions élémentaires de botanique, du sol et de ses améliorations - Multiplication des plantes, éducation et culture des plantes, conservation des plantes - Jardin potager et plantes potageres, jardins paysagers, jardins fleuristes.
Paris, Anthème Fayard, about 1890. With 820 wood engravings in the text and 16 extratext chromolithographies. (4), 604 p. A few tears and creases, bound in a simple, sturdy contemporary cloth binding. Partly a bit browned, some isolated paper tears.
* Detailed encyclopedia of gardening, comprising all sorts of different utensils, describing (with illustrations) many different beetles and other plagues, bats, moles, birds, winds; many varieties of trees, apples, pears and other fruits, roses, vines, artichokes, carrots, champignons, beans, potatos, flowers, aloes, draconias, laurels, and many other plants, illustrated with 820 nice wood engravings.
BRÜSSEL 1910 Kollektiv-Ausstellung der Deutschen Präzisions-Mechanik und Optik. Veranstaltet von der deutschen Gesellschaft für Mechanik und Optik. Brüssel 1910. (Trade catalogue). (Leipzig, Hermann Hönnicke Kunst-Anstalt, 1910). Original decorated cloth. (2), XVI, 144 p. Many technical illustrations. First edition. Ticket from an optics seller (Robert Drosten, Brussels) on cover, stamp on title page. Binding a bit soiled, otherwise fine.
* Exposition catalog for the World Exposition in Brussels, 1910, of German precision mechanics and optics. Full of attractive advertisements of Carl Zeiss-Jena and other technical factories in Germany. Accomplished printing on art paper.
CAGNER, Ewert, & Ake GUSTAFSSON Hokuspokus. ('Movable' book). Gothenburg, TreTryckare, . 28 x 11 cm. Cloth-backed boards. 28 p., of which 24 are divided in half horizontally in order to make possible dozens of combinations of people. A bit browned.
* A fantastic Swedish book of humorous illustrations.
CAUSLEY, Monroe S. Arthur W. Rushmore & the Golden Hind Press. A History & Bibliography. Published in association with The Madison Public Library, Madison, New Jersey. Delaware, Oak Knoll Press, 2005. 30 x 22 cm. Leather-backed marbled boards. With a marbled slipcase. XVIII, 178 p. Illustrated. Printed in 170 numbered copies, all signed by the author. This is nr. 169. Errata slip included. 1st edition. Fine copy.
* Extensive bibliography. Tipped-in
specimen of marbled paper and other illustrations.
CROWLEY, Aleister White Stains. Edited with an Introduction by John Symonds. Londen, Duckworth, 1973. Leatherette with dust jacket. xvi, 120 p. Printed in 1000 numbered copies. Jacket a bit creased (it looks worse in the scan). Bookseller's mark of W.N. Schors.
* Reprint of the pornographic-satanistic volume of poetry (1898), that was largely destroyed by British customs. Hetero, homo (A strong man's love is my delight!'), sado ('Pain is our joy and our spirits' power/ Never shall fade its fiery flower'), uro ('Let my fond lips but drink thy golden wine'), copro, bestio (With Dog and Dame), necro... there's something for everybody, often in dexterous rhymes. Some poems in French: 'Clitoridette, m'amourette...'. Amusing and attractive book, with its white binding sporting Crowley's erotic monogramme.
DEMOUSTIER, C.-A. Lettres à Émilie sur la mythologie. Paris, Ant. Aug. Renouard, 1809. 6 parts in 2 volumes. 3/4 cloth with marbled boards (very slightly worn), first half of 19th century. VIII, 144; 128; 104. 96; 116; 148 p. Many fine engravings by Jean-Michel Moreau le jeune.
* Lessons about mythology for girls, a popular book since its first publication in 1786. Exquisite edition by the learned bibliophile and publisher on beautiful white paper by Pierre Didot l'Aîné.
DESCHAMPS, Andrée Éther, Cocaïne, Hachich, Peyotl et démence précoce. Essai d'Exploration Pharmacodynamique du Psychisme des Déments précoces. Paris, Éditions Véga, 1932. 25 x 17 cm. Original wrappers. (2), 210 p. Uncut. First edition. Excellent copy.
* Rare and early study about the
influence of hallucinogenics. Many detailed case histories. Thesis.
GARNIER Étrennes Garnier. Noël 1951. Parijs, Garnier, 1951. 27 x 19 cm. Leporello. 8 p. Illustrated. 4 p. in colors, 4 in black-and-white. Large advertisement label on first page. Tiny edge tears and a bit of foxing.
* Three pages of ads for Benjamin Rabier. Interesting publisher's advertisements with clear depictions of typical French binding methods: half vellum decorated with an original watercolor, or 'demi basane bigarrée, genre ancien, fers spéciaux noir et or, tête fantaisie'.
GIDE, André Interviews imaginaires. Yverdon & Lausanne, Éditions du Haut-Pays, 1943. 25 x 18 cm. Original wrappers. (2), 146 p. Uncut. One of 1429 numbered copies on 'volumineux vergé bouffant' (total number 1460 exx.). Printed in red and black. First edition. Cover a tiny bit discolored.
* Collection of 17 essays in the
form of imaginary interviews.
(GOOR, Gaston). BANDELLO, Matteo Histoires plaisantes. Traduites de l'Italien de René Novella. Gravures sur verre et illustrations par GOOR. Monaco, À la voile latine, (1950). Loose in illustrated wrappers, as issued, two volumes together in a cardboard cover and a box. 154; 144 p. Richly illustrated with engravings and vignettes. Printed in red and black in 950 numbered copies; this is one of 40 on 'papier pur fil à la forme des papeteries Johannot', each with an original drawing by Goor. Name of the happy owner printed in the colophon. First edition. Covers foxed, otherwise books fine. Box a bit soiled.
* The original drawing is a design in ink for a vignette, with tiny signature 'G.' Naughty stories of the sixteenth century. Spicy engravings and many fine lascivious vignettes, inspired by renaissance motifs.
GORON, M.-F. Pariser Liebe. Memoiren. Mit Original-Illustrationen von J. Wely. (Vol. I). Paris & Leipzig, F. Krüger, 1899. Original decorated cloth. 240 p. First episode cover (in color) bound in as title. First German edition. Cover a bit soiled; a bit loose.
* First part of L'Amour criminel. Lively illustrations by Jacques Wely, all dating from 1899.
HANKES DRIELSMA-DE KRABBÉ, M. Homo Duplex. Légende d'un coeur perdu en quatre actes et un épilogue. Paris, Bernard Grasset, 1928. 4to. Orig. wrappers. 120 p. Uncut. With erratum sheet. Printed in 550 numbered copies on Madagascar des Papeteries Lafuma. With an original coloured lithograph and some vignettes by Robert Bonfils. First edition. Cover slightly browned.
* Play with homosexual content.
The author Marguerite de Krabbé (Kopenhagen 1876-Wassenaar 1929), daughter
of a Danish Minister of Defence, married journalist and lawyer Albert
Julius Hankes Drielsma (1880-1971).
HARLAND, Henry My Friend Prospero. A Novel. New York, McClure, Phillips & Co., 1904. Original gilt boards. (4), 318 p. Top gilt. Uncut. First Edition. Stamp on flyleaf, backstrip and cover a little discoloured.
* Deluxe edition: one of 500 numbered
copies with coloured frontispice and a portrait of the author, signed
in the plate.
HILLER, Kurt Gustav Wyneken's Erziehungslehre und der Aktivismus. Hannover, Paul Steegemann Verlag, 1919. Die Silbergäule 4. Original wrappers. 28 p. (9 pages of advertisements for books). First edition. Very good copy.
HIRSCHFELD, Magnus Berlins Drittes Geschlecht. Berlin, Hermann Seemann Nachfolger, 1907. 23 x 15 cm. Orig. wrappers. 80 p. (including 10 pages of interesting, partly illustrated advertisements). 3th printing. Backstrip damaged. Cover worn and loose. Text paper browned.
* About 'Berlin's Third Sex' or homosexuality in that thriving industrial metropolis of the beginning of the 20th century. A very fragile book. Series 'Grossstadt-Dokumente' 3. Added: Hans Ostwald: Zuhältertum. Third edition. Series 'Grossstadt-Dokumente' 5. 96 p. (12 pages of interesting advertisements). Poor copy: front cover missing.
HIRSCHFELD, Magnus Les homosexuels de Berlin. Le troisième sexe. Paris, Jules Rousset, 1908. Original wrappers. (4), 104 p. Uncut. First edition. Excellent copy.
* French translation of Berlins drittes Geschlecht (1908).
If you want to order an item, just send us an e-mail. We accept bank payments (with BIC and IBAN), with VISA and Mastercard, and with Paypal.